Forum Rules versus No Forum Rules

Welcome to Another Admin Forum!

Welcome to Another Admin Forum! Join our community of forum creators today. Register for a free account and get tips, resources, and support to build and grow your forum. Let's create better forums together!

Do you believe in forum rules or no forum rules?

• Yes to Forum Rules

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No to Forum Rules

• Other

• Total voters

Shawn Gossman

Administrator
AAF Administrator
AAF Moderator
Reaction score
Forum Rules - they're often the guidelines that must be met in order for all members to be able to enjoy the community.

Some feel forums without rules will result in chaos and toxicity.

Others think forums can easily survive without rules.

Where do you stand? Vote and reply!

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but I wanted to bring up a topic that I think we're going about our forum rules in entirely the wrong way.

There are usually two levels of forum rules:
- Terms of Use that are binding and legal - This is usually a wall of text that nobody ever reads, filled with technical legalese.
- Social Conduct that are more of guidelines - We usually bury this in a pinned topic in an Announcements board that new members will never know how to navigate

Forums totally miss the proper opportunity on how we present, where we present, and when we present the Social Conduct rules. We really need to present them at the point of engagement

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but I wanted to bring up a topic that I think we're going about our forum rules in entirely the wrong way.

There are usually two levels of forum rules:
- Terms of Use that are binding and legal - This is usually a wall of text that nobody ever reads, filled with technical legalese.
- Social Conduct that are more of guidelines - We usually bury this in a pinned topic in an Announcements board that new members will never know how to navigate

Forums totally miss the proper opportunity on how we present, where we present, and when we present the Social Conduct rules. We really need to present them at the point of engagement
So by that, do you mean as a response to new comers or as a response "as needed" as members violate the guidelines?

So by that, do you mean as a response to new comers or as a response "as needed" as members violate the guidelines?
Either? Both? But the main point is that we need to present them at the point of engagement, not bury them in some footer links or put up a wall of text. It needs to be short, easy to read, easy to understand, and easy to implement.

Either? Both? But the main point is that we need to present them at the point of engagement, not bury them in some footer links or put up a wall of text. It needs to be short, easy to read, easy to understand, and easy to implement.
I'd love to know more about your ideas of presenting them during engagement. :)

Back
Top Bottom