Links in signatures

Welcome to Another Admin Forum!

Welcome to Another Admin Forum! Join our community of forum creators today. Register for a free account and get tips, resources, and support to build and grow your forum. Let's create better forums together!

Shawn Gossman

Administrator
AAF Administrator
AAF Moderator
Reaction score
Do you allow your members to have links in their forum signatures?

I'm asking this to all forum niches in all honesty. Some people have websites, forums of their own, or social media sites they'd love to share. Maybe they have a shop or an Etsy page.

How do you feel about signature links? Where do you draw the line?

Obviously, I welcome it as long as the link is relevant to the niche and not completely commercial in nature.

On some sites certain links are not welcome. It depends on the site. For instance, back in the 2010s I put this guitar affiliate link on a forum and then reaction was incredibly hostile.

Well, I was told on the guitar affiliate site that I should target where musicians were at, ha ha.

Anyway, commercial links on some web development or business site shouldn't be a problem because it's a different environment.

The TAZ mentality is no more. Now sig links are encouraged at most forums. Even from competing sites.

I agree.

I welcome competing links. I think the more competing forums, the bigger the audience. It's good for everyone all the way around, but ensuring your forum is unique and different is your job :)

Commercial links, I have to draw the line somewhere but I'd probably let quite a bit slide.

Do you allow your members to have links in their forum signatures?
Yes, but not right now.

On RealShit, I have Dragonbyte Credits and Dragonbyte Store (can't really tell that I do because it's been rephrased so much and I have their brand free product so there are no copyright footer links). Right now, the only signature item I have for sale is a 1 line 3 emoji signature.

However, I intend to add 4-5 new items for various levels of signature permissions, with the final product having signatures visible to guests.

Hopefully, this will encourage participation, as with participation you earn credits, where users will want to stick around to earn enough credits to buy a signature that they can have a link in.
How do you feel about signature links? Where do you draw the line?
The only place I would draw a line (as it's unfiltered there) is adult content IF they wrap it in the [URL] tag. Though, I won't warn or ban them. I'll just simply edit it and wrap it in [E(xplicit)URL] (or some other custom tag) that will blur it and remove the link for those who have chosen not to see mature content in their preferences (and guests if they have the item to show signatures to guests). If it becomes repetitive, I'll just send a PM to tell them to wrap it in the right tags (as some are accustomed to just using the editor's URL insert), and if that goes ignored, remove their product and disallow them to purchase it again. However, I don't ever see it coming down to that as I'm sure everyone will respect the rules on that.

I currently have links in signatures disabled on my forum, but I do plan on adding a upgrade for points you earn from posting to add a signature link(no-follow).

to add a signature link(no-follow).
That really doesn't matter as much as it did in 2010.
Google has stated that it treats all nofollow directives, including UGC, as “hints” for ranking purposes.

This means that while they might not directly impact ranking, Google reserves the right to consider them if they wish. It’s like a subtle nod from Google saying, “I see what you did there, and I might just take that into account.”
Source: Should You Use Nofollow, Sponsored, & UGC Links?

Google will be able to determine if they're junk or not if they don't already. I suspect if they see 1000 posts with signatures on your forum, dating back year(s), they will take this into account for ranking purposes. After all, if they visited your site on January 1, 2024; Mar. 2024; May 2024; July 2024; and so on, and the links are still there, I think that would give them them the hint that you are allowing them to be there for a reason and thus provide the link juice they should have for being there. However, that's just my take on it.

A link is a link. Google will determine where you're placed in the end. But, I don't think nofollow has as big of an impact on links, or links properly placed, now.

I allow signature links from 1-3 links based on their membership.

I am a farmer enthusiast and I raise chickens for home and for sale, So I did put up a listings site. Then I signed up on a chicken forum and I was called out for using my website link on my signature. (I never advertised or mentioned within posts, just in my signature)

I was told that they don't allow "similar" websites in signatures.
If I own chickens, I sell chickens, and I have my chicken's website, wouldn't it make sense to participate on forums related to chickens to promote my website/services? I just stopped using that forum and never returned.

I believe signatures are user's space. They should be able to promote whatever they want there as long as it's not something illegal

Yes, but not right now.

On RealShit, I have Dragonbyte Credits and Dragonbyte Store (can't really tell that I do because it's been rephrased so much and I have their brand free product so there are no copyright footer links). Right now, the only signature item I have for sale is a 1 line 3 emoji signature.

However, I intend to add 4-5 new items for various levels of signature permissions, with the final product having signatures visible to guests.

Hopefully, this will encourage participation, as with participation you earn credits, where users will want to stick around to earn enough credits to buy a signature that they can have a link in.

The only place I would draw a line (as it's unfiltered there) is adult content IF they wrap it in the [URL] tag. Though, I won't warn or ban them. I'll just simply edit it and wrap it in [E(xplicit)URL] (or some other custom tag) that will blur it and remove the link for those who have chosen not to see mature content in their preferences (and guests if they have the item to show signatures to guests). If it becomes repetitive, I'll just send a PM to tell them to wrap it in the right tags (as some are accustomed to just using the editor's URL insert), and if that goes ignored, remove their product and disallow them to purchase it again. However, I don't ever see it coming down to that as I'm sure everyone will respect the rules on that.
I kind of like the idea of signature purchase and tax!

Post to get credits to buy your signature, keep posting to pay signature tax or rent.

Want to add another link? Pay for it with post credits.

I kind of like the idea of signature purchase and tax!

Post to get credits to buy your signature, keep posting to pay signature tax or rent.

Want to add another link? Pay for it with post credits.
I like that. I believe it actually give more value to the signature itself. If you implement something like that. Count me in.
It's also a way to support and give back to the forum.

I like that. I believe it actually give more value to the signature itself. If you implement something like that. Count me in.
It's also a way to support and give back to the forum.
I think it would be fair, too. Easy to get a signature.

I think it would be fair, too. Easy to get a signature.
Set up some account upgrades for users. Some users may want to contribute to the forum by upgrading their account. Example.. Signatures...
Example: I have on my forum $5/year includes 1 signature link. $10/year includes 2 signature links. etc..

Back
Top Bottom