Another Admin Forum: A forum for forum owners!

Another Admin Forum 2.0: An Introduction to a Legacy!

Welcome to Another Admin Forum!

A forum where forum owners can discuss running forums. Register or Login Now.

Shawn Gossman

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome friends,

Some of you reading this will recognize the name of this forum, and you'll immediately know its relation to me.

But if not, here's the full story of Another Admin Forum, or AAF for short:

I started making message forums way back when PhpBB version 1 was the thing. I remember version 2 being the hottest thing on the block. I even remember some of the old BBS days when you used dial-up internet. I was big into IRC at one time. I definitely enjoyed the beginning of the chat and forum legacy.

Anyways, I enjoyed forums so much that I thought it would be cool to make a forum for forum owners. Of course, that already existed with Forum-Forum.com and then later TheAdminZone.com.

However, I like to do my own thing. It's not reinventing the wheel to me. It's giving people another option. If McDonald's were the only place we could get a cheeseburger, it would be a nightmare, wouldn't it? I like options. I like being able to go to all of them. That's how I feel about forum competition. I'm just NOT competitive.

So, essentially, I created Another Admin Forum. It became my baby!

I remember getting it to over 30,000 posts.

What happened to it, though?

I reached the lowest point in my life. I become poor. So poor that I turned my furnace off in the winter because I couldn't afford it. I also binge-drank alcohol because I was in a lot of pain over my horrible teeth at the time. I told no one. Not my family. Not my friends. I suffered longer than I should have. I should have reached out for help. I almost did something stupid to myself, and I thank God that I never did that because life today is better than I would have ever imagined.

When I became poor, though, I went offline. I closed down all my forums, blogs, and websites and took a multiple-year break from it all.

I gave anotheradminforum.com and the database to Howard, the former owner of TheAdminZone.com. There was no contract. I didn't make any money.

I always regretted giving up AAF. I missed it all these years. I've tried to make a few different new admin forums and could never do it because I missed my baby.

Then, yesterday, for laughs, I typed in AnotherAdminForum.com on the domain name site.

AVAILABLE!

I snatched it and updated an XenForo license, and here we are!

I'm doing it again, but this time, I'm keeping it around. It's something I've regretted for a long time, and now I have a second chance.

But it's going to be different here.

There won't be posting services or promotion forum services. You can still promote your forum in the appropriate section and your signature. There also won't be ads, ever. I'm keeping this forum ad-free. I might add a premium membership option to those who want to donate but I'm keeping this forum less-businessy.

I hope to see you (guest) register (as a member) today!

I was around when TAZ was the hottest ticket in town and I remember AdminExtra.com being a thing but I never stumbled upon this the first time around. But here I am! Hope you're happy!

Best wishes and best of luck with AAF.

I was around when TAZ was the hottest ticket in town and I remember AdminExtra.com being a thing but I never stumbled upon this the first time around. But here I am! Hope you're happy!

Best wishes and best of luck with AAF.
I forgot all about Admin Extra!

It’s great to see you giving it another shot Shawn. Will be interesting to see how AAF progresses. :)
And at the end of the day, I'm going to let AAF 2.0 grow no matter how slowly it wants to grow. If it's just me, you, and Al talking for months on end, hey, a small community is better than no community at all!

And at the end of the day, I'm going to let AAF 2.0 grow no matter how slowly it wants to grow. If it's just me, you, and Al talking for months on end, hey, a small community is better than no community at all!
Oh for sure. It’s better than nothing! :D

I’ll join in the discussions a bit later, been so terribly busy it’s ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom