Custom Search Engine

Welcome to Another Admin Forum!

Welcome to Another Admin Forum! Join our community of forum creators today. Register for a free account and get tips, resources, and support to build and grow your forum. Let's create better forums together!

Shawn Gossman

Administrator
AAF Administrator
AAF Moderator
Reaction score
Have any of you ever programmed your own custom search engine?

How about a way for a "robot" to index content for it?

I feel like this would be a pretty cool thing to create.

Yes I did. I created a spider/robot to crawl and index forums. I still have the scripts I wrote for it. I would have to update it for the newer versions of PHP. It was coded when PHP 5 was first released. Not to mention the tools I used for screenshots are gone now. Would have to replace them. Maybe I'll dust it off and see if it can handle today's complex forums.

There is a post on vbulletin.com about it. I wanted to see if it affected their sites negatively. I always sent it out to go 1 level deep to prevent problems.

Yes I did. I created a spider/robot to crawl and index forums. I still have the scripts I wrote for it. I would have to update it for the newer versions of PHP. It was coded when PHP 5 was first released. Not to mention the tools I used for screenshots are gone now. Would have to replace them. Maybe I'll dust it off and see if it can handle today's complex forums.

There is a post on vbulletin.com about it. I wanted to see if it affected their sites negatively. I always sent it out to go 1 level deep to prevent problems.
That's awesome! You could make a forum search engine!

I think a forum DMOZ-like site would be cool. Multiple editors and all. But you might have to keep links as "No Follow" to avoid Google penalization.

I actually created the spider because at the time I was an editor there. I wanted an easy way to populate a category. Later I built a frontend for it. The original grabbed the links and description and formatted to an xml file that I could import.

Back
Top Bottom